Follow

Thursday 11 June 2015

Travel Purchase Review


Hopefully you will be aware that for the past 2 weeks (well close to it) I have been in Copenhagen visiting Jamie and therefore haven't had a chance to blog (except adding the final touches to my eyeliner review).

I will tell you all about my travels in the next few days (hopefully), but for now I'm going to review my travel purchase!

I recently bought 2 books by Keri Smith called "wreck this journal" and "the imaginary world of (insert your name)" and I love them! If you want I will review them at a later stage!

So anyway, I found out she also created an app called "wreck this app" and thought it would be perfect to pass the time. So I went to the App Store and searched for the app.. Up came the app but also up popped a bundle offer..

Keri Smith has THREE APPS! I was so excited, had a wee nosey at them.. They were all £3.99 each or the I could buy the bundle for £7.99... So that's exactly what I did....

The bundle consisted of "wreck this app", "this is not an app" and "the pocket scavenger" which are all based on books that she has..

If you haven't heard of her check out the books, they are awesome!

Okay, so I'm gonna do a short review on each of them

1. Wreck this app

Ever heard of wreck this journal? Well this app is pretty much the book... In app form of course!

If you haven't heard of Keri Smith's wreck this journal, it is basically a book/journal that has instructions on each of the pages with the intentions of getting you to (as the name suggests) wreck the journal! (Just to give you a wee insight).

These instructions include (from memory):

- bring the book into the shower with you
- crack the spine
- rub a certain page against a dirty car

Obviously the instructions above can't exactly be used in the app... But I purposely did that so I'm not repeating myself.. Clever, I know! (Just kidding)

Instructions from the app (and are more than likely in the journal as well) include:

- scribble wildly, violently, with reckless abandon
- draw lines while in motion, on the bus, on a train, while walking
- colour outside of the lines
- write or draw with your other (not dominant) hand
- do a really ugly drawing (use ugly subject matter)

Ok, so you have an insight into the app and the journal... But what is my opinion?

The app is a great time passer, exactly what I needed for travelling. It also enabled you to, kind of, let out your feelings whether it be sadness, anger, happiness etc.

My next point can be viewed as either positive or negitive...

So, with the app you can continue to redo every instruction.. Make a mistake - rub it out, want to do it again - rub it out and start over. But with the journal, you can only do most of the instructions once. I like that about the journal, because it means if you make a mistake, it stays, truly wrecking the journal. But I suppose it is kind of good to be able to redo a page over and over, which in a way makes it a good app for travelling, because you can use it endlessly, changing the way you write or draw something each time - meaning you will never get bored.

All in all, I would recommend the app if you find yourself travelling a lot or become bored easily. However, it depends whether or not you think you will use it... I probably won't use it often, but now I have purchased it, I will always have it - perfect for when travelling in my eyes.

I used the app on my iPad and when I compared it to my phone, I preferred using it on a tablets so if you have a tablet, I would recommend using it on a tablet as opposed to a phone.

However, it can pass the time just as well and be just as much on a phone as well :)

2. This is not an app

I assume this app is based on Keri Smith's book "this is not a book".

However, I don't own the book and I'm not entirely sure what it is like.

But, I do know what the app is like.. So here is my opinion.

I think I would like to rename it "time passer app" - ok not a great name, but it basically gives you "this is" exercises - 50 to be exact - to do that will pass time.

Examples include:

- "this is an excuse to avoid other things. Write a list of things you would like to avoid"
- "this is a mirror. Take a photo of yourself at this very moment."
- "this is a playground. Colour in the shape using the strangest method you can think of."

If you do what it asks there and then, it can be very fun.

You can pick numbers at random, or go through them in order. I found picking at random is the most enjoyable.

Again, I would say this app is best used on a tablet, but the fun is not limited on a phone.

Definitely a good time passer, but would also be fun to do with friends!

Even though this app includes very different exercises, in my head it seems too similar to "wreck this app" and therefore I would recommend purchasing either "wreck this app" or "this is not an app".

Personally I would choose "this is not an app" just because I think it has more "spontaneous" exercises - however, "wreck this app" is still fantastic, it depends on taste.

However, if you intend to buy one of these and "the pocket scavenger", go for the bundle, why not have both "wreck this app" and "this is not an app" if one of them is basically working out free.

3. The pocket scavenger

As the other 2 apps have been based on books I am going to assume this one is also based on one of Keri Smith's books.. But couldn't tell you which one (if any).

Okay so this was completely different to what I was expecting... Not that I really knew what I was expecting.

Anyway, this app is one of my favourites... Well I haven't actually used it yet, but I can't wait to.

Basically, it's a photo scavenger hunt (why I never guessed this to begin with is beyond me).

So, it gives you different objects that you must find and photograph.

Okay I have 2 reasons as to why I haven't used this app yet:

1. I only have it on my tablet (intend to download it on my phone) and I think taking photos on a tablet is very awkward, and I can't do it discretely. Also, when in Copenhagen, I didn't have my iPad on me that often and therefore didn't have the opportunity to use the app.
2. I don't think it's a travel app as such and, as I said above, I didn't find any good opportunities to use it when I had my iPad to hand.

BUT even though I haven't used the app, I have took a look at it.

Examples of scavenges include:

- a used envelope
- 9 circles
- a form of currency
- something on your body

What makes this app so much fun is that it is out of the ordinary things you have to photograph and I think that's why I love it so much!

Not only does it give you weird and wonderful things to photograph, it lets you write a story behind it. And then uses your time and date to also put on it.

The fun doesn't end there, you can give your scavenge an "alteration"

You select the "give me an alteration" option and it brings up something that you must do with this item/thing you are photographing. You can either accept this alteration or hit next to get another random one.

Examples if alterations include:

- frame it
- use it to make a mess
- turn it upside down
- ask a stranger to pose with the item

Basically, the fun is endless with this app... one scavenge could become 50+ different scavenges.

I would recommend this app to anyone!

It could be used on a daily basis, if you remember something from the app and you see an opportunity.

It could be used with friends (or by yourself) as a goal one or more days. Where you just set off to complete scavenges from the app.

You know you're going on an adventure, make sure to have the app with you.

Honestly, the options are as endless as the scavenge... Use your imagination.

So yeah, brilliant app... Go download it now!

Overview

I am very happy with my purchase, and it definitely kept me occupied when travelling.

I can't wait to use the pocket scavenger app, I will definitely do a blog when I have a lot of scavenges to share with you!

Later! 

2 comments:

  1. The pocket scavenger book looks really good I've been considering buying it for a while but I didn't know any of them had apps ! I'm definitely going to get the packet scavenger one it sounds brilliant , I know I'd just lose a book which is why I didn't buy it when I saw it :) Thanks ! Great post :)

    Lots of love, Marianne xxx
    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the blog was helpful! I would definitely recommend buying any of the apps but I think the pocket scavenger is my favourite, just because it is random and the fun seems endless!

      I love Keri Smith's books, but some of them (eg the imaginary world of..) can be a bit bulky to carry with you. So when I found the apps, it was perfect. Most people carry their phone (and some people, their tablets) EVERYWHERE.. Therefore, you will always have the app on you!

      Let me know if you make any cool scavenges! Once i find the time to use it (or remember to use it) I will do a blog, so stay posted!

      If you want any more information on any of the apps, drop me a message and I will happily answer any questions! But the apps seem to follow a very similar format to the books!

      Checking out your blog now!

      Thanks for the read, Shannon! xxx

      Delete