Follow

Sunday 28 June 2015

Scandinavian Travel

Okay, so.. this whole posting every Tuesday thing has already proved itself to be a challenge.. However, I am determined to eventually get into a routine where I do post weekly (I'm sure I will find a day that suits best!). Right now, I'm trying to get into a routine of having a full time job which is harder than I once thought and in the evenings I'm wrecked... ok.. I'm rambling...

Anyway.. I hope you lovely people are all aware that recently I spent 2 weeks (more or less) in Copenhagen with Jamie. This blog (probably going to be a long read) is gonna be all about my time there.. I'm not going to talk about the days we just spent bantering about because that isn't very interesting and will make the blog even longer.

Day 1

My trip didn't start off too good. I had to get a bus to Dublin at 7am, meaning I was up at 5am and I am NOT a morning person.


So after spending over 2 hours on a bus from Belfast to Dublin I arrived at the airport to discover my flight was delayed.. Originally by 45 minutes. I was raging because I had already arrived at the airport at 9:15 (approximately) with my flight's due time of 11:45.. To see it was delayed to 12:30 infuriated me (probably a lot more than I should).

But yeah, in the end.. flight flight was 2 hours delayed AND our gate changed 3 times.. All in all, it was a very stressful flight.

but

It was so worth it to see Jamie.


Day 2

Day 2 (technically my first actual day in Copenhagen) wasn't overly exciting. Well, some parts were.


I got breakfast in bed if that counts a exciting? I mean, not all of us are as spoilt as me, right?

Anyway, I really wanted to go down to the canal, so thats where we went (after breakfast in bed of course).

However, Jamie had a surprise for me on the way. Jamie had purchased a lock (I was completely unaware of this) and while I was in the shower he used my nail polish to write "J+S" on the lock (me - still completely oblivious). So anyway, we were walking over a bridge at Islands Brygge and the next minute Jamie stopped, and pulled the lock out of his pocket. At first I was so confused until I realised we were on "love lock bridge". We decided to place our lock away from other locks to be, yanno, unique or something.

But yeah, it was cute and I was very impressed at the effort Jamie made to put a smile on my face.

But our adventure didn't end there (even though we were over the canal) I wanted to see more.

We walked for a bit, passed the mall until we reached a path that ran along the canal. I don't know why I didn't take any photos, it was beautiful. I think I was maybe just in awe.

After that we didn't really do much.. I mean, we went for a walk, my feet hurt so I complained a lot, we went to an ATM, went for a beer at his university cafe and sat on the rooftop terrace, walked back again (I complained some more), went into the Mall, grabbed lunch and headed back to the flat.

We had a quiet evening in - I actually really enjoyed just getting to spend some time with him chilling out watching some TV.

Day 3

We decided to take a walk to J. C. Jacobsens Have.


Jamie decided to take me the... scenic route. We went through a graveyard, at Rektorparken. I know it sounds creepy, but it is actually so much more than a grave yard. It was so beautiful to walk through.

To top the adventure through the graveyard off, there was a pond and some ducks.
Anyway, after a few photos were taken we decided it was best to make our way to our actual destination. Only problem being, we got lost. Neither of us really knew where we were going THEN Jamie got J. C. Jacobsens Have confused with Søndermarken (which is like another public outdoor park area I guess).

To be fair, it was easily done and I'm glad he did. We spent the afternoon in the park which was beautiful. It even had a water fountain and Jamie got soaked which was pretty funny.

Anyway, I wont bore you with the details. It was once again a lovely day finished with a relaxing evening.

Day 4

We kinda messed about during the day. We watched TV and we quite frankly couldn't be bothered getting ready. But Jamie thought it would be a cool idea to go to v1 gallery. So we made our way over to it's location to discover it was closed on Sundays (oops).


However, lucky for us, there was a bar open called Warpigs. It turned out to be more than a bar, it was also a smokehouse.. But neither me or Jamie were hungry so decided to just go order a drink. In the end, we couldn't decide what we want and they happened to have an offer on - 6 house beers for 120dkk (equated to approximately £12). So we decided to get a sample of the house beers. I can not for the life of me remember what any of them were other than the fact I really enjoyed them. (On the other hand, Jamie could probably tell you exactly what each of them were).



Earlier in the day, Jamie had said about going to a cocktail bar (forgetting it was Sunday) so I had got my hopes up and was really looking forward to a cocktail. So once we finished up in warpigs, we went on an adventure to find a bar that sold cocktails. Harder than you think on a Sunday as all of the cocktail bars were shut (sad!)

We went into a random bar, hadn't a clue what they sold so Jamie just ordered 2 beer. It was kinda cool, so we sat there chatting over a beer for a while.. But I got bored after a short period of time (no shock there ey?). So our adventure continued.

We walked passed a sweet shop and Jamie offered for us to get some and I couldn't resist. So we bought some pic 'n' mix sweets and continued our search for a cocktail.

Jamie new of a bar close by that he thought was going to be open so that was our next destination. We arrived and YES it was open, hooray! AND they sold cocktails (woo!), it was a win win really.

P.S. on the way home it was raining and I checked off number 67 on my bucket list - "Get kissed in the rain". It was kinda romantic, but I had higher expectations (movies' fault).

Day 5

We went to Copenhagen Zoo!!!

Safe to say it was HUGE!!! (Find a map here)

From the map you can see how many different animals there were to see! I was very impressed!

We were even able to see the Polar Bear getting fed!

Basically we spent the day going round the entire zoo and taking photos of all the animals! It was great.. I even got a selfie with the penguins.

Day 6

I didn't do anything exciting bar watching all the Bring It On films! (even at that, not exciting) - I know who goes on holiday to sit inside watching movies?

There was a reason behind it - Jamie had upcoming exams to revise for, so we decided it was better to just set a couple of days aside for him to revise! I knew we were gonna have plenty of time to do everything else another day!

Day 7

We decided we would do something in the afternoon and that Jamie would revise that night... so... we went to the National Museum of Denmark. If I'm completely honest, it wasn't as interesting as I expected it was going to be, which was disappointing. I usually love museums, but it was probably because I wasn't overly interested in the history of Denmark!



In saying that, there were parts of the museum that I enjoyed and I certainly got a few class photos :) There was a small toy section which was very enjoyable! We got to see massive doll houses that were just out of this world.
We also stopped at a cafe on the way back to the station. Jamie got coffee (no shock there) and I got the best hot chocolate ever!

Day 8

Jamie's exams begun - so he was up and out of the flat early, while I got the entire bed to myself and got to sleep on! When I did eventually get up I wasn't productive, I just watched stuff on Netflix and waited for Jamie to arrive home.

When Jamie got back to the flat he told me he PASSED!! I has so pleased, he had worked so hard for them!!

We decided we would be productive with the sunny day so took a trip down to the canal to see the boat houses. I now really want to own a boat house, some of them were so pretty.. the canal was so pretty. The entire day our views were just amazing. We even came across some funky architecture!
I also was able to FaceTime home to my mum and got to speak to my brother Blane, that was nice!

But unfortunately Jamie still had another exam to do the next day so he had to revise that evening!

Day 9

Final exam - repeat of the day before where I stayed in bed while he went to the exam... except this time I got up and got a shower before Jamie arrived back in the flat!

When he did arrive back, he had a bottle of rum and was over the moon at the fact he passed both his exams!!

We went to the Carlsberg factory! (kinda celebratory)


 We did some beer tasting and walked about the museum. It was a very interesting experience AND we won free pints.. All in all a great experience! Along with the free pints we both got two free drinks with our entry.. so a lot of beer was drank at the carlsberg factory.


We even played foosball (my first time may I add) and Jamie decided we would turn it into a drinking game.. It did turn out to be a lot of fun!

Day 10

We went to Christianshaven. The canal just looked beautiful and it was great to see all the pretty boats.. Again I really want my own boat or boathouse now.. If only I had money!




That night we decided to have an early birthday celebration and go out for dinner. We went to a French Cuisine restaurant called Mon Amour and I couldn't have been happier with our choice! It was absolutely beautiful! I got steak for my main and it was so tender and juicy - I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it!

Day 11

We went to Tivoli that day and I had a ball! Even though we didn't go on any of the rides it was so beautiful to walk around. Jamie played a carnival game and won me a lolly (not the best prize for him getting all the balls in)!



There was a small aquarium that you could go to for an extra fee. Jamie loves fish so we decided to go down just in time for piranha feeding!

It was cool to see all the fish and we got some cool photos (well.. most of mine were blurry).

Day 12

We went to Den Blå Planet - the aquarium in Copenhagen! This aquarium was said to be the biggest in Northern Europe. And they weren't lying, it is massive!! We spent around 3 hours in the aquarium!




I can't exactly remember all the different areas but there definitely was an ocean tank, an Africa tank and Amazonas tank!

The ocean tank also consisted of a walk through tunnel that the fish swam around, it was cool to see the fish swim above and below me!

It was amazing how many different fish and sea life creatures we were able to see!

Day 13

CANAL TOUR!

We had been saying for a few days that we wanted to do a canal tour but kept putting it off..

We decided since we had nothing else planned it would be a good idea to do the tour!

Although, we probably would have been best doing it at the start of the trip as we would have been able to decide where we wanted to go - however, I'm more than content with what we did do while I was in Copenhagen.

We used a company called "Netto Boats" as it was super cheap and the tour started in Nyhavn (New Harbour).

On the tour we seen many many things that I have loads of photos for, but I can't remember what the majority of them were called or anything about them (I don't have the best memory)!

From what I can remember we were able to see the Little Mermaid Statue, The Opera House, Amalienborg Palace, Homen's Church and Arsenal Island (an artificial island).

Day 14

Unfortunately my trip had come to an end. It was my last few hours.. I didn't want to leave!

Jamie and I just lazed about, spending some quality time before I had to go home.

Jamie left me to the airport, it was slightly emotional (well for me anyway)!

I had another stressful experience at the airport on the way home. When I arrived and got through security, my flight's gate wasn't available. I asked at the help desk who said it would be up an hour before my flight.. but when the time arrived it still wasn't up. Another lady pointed me in the direction of the gates that all ryan air flights always flew out of. When I arrived down, my gate had finally been put on screen. When the time had come, the staff proceeded with the boarding procedure as normal.. But the flight was late again (not as much as the journey coming over). But we hadn't been informed about the delay either. I was roasting as I had piled on all the clothes I couldn't fit in the suitcase!

Anyway, enough of me complaining about the flight.. at least I arrived home safely! I had a fantastic trip and Jamie is home on the 1st of July for Summer!


Later 

1 comment:

  1. The Baltic States are a great travel destination and present rich and authentic travel experience. Baltic tours give an immense never before travel experiences when you are in Lithuania.

    Travel Operator In Baltic Regions | Baltic Tours | Baltic Travel | Bus Travel | Baltic Bus Travel | Baltic Tour Operators | Baltic Travel Companies

    ReplyDelete