Follow

Monday 29 December 2014

Dear 2014

Dear 2014,

You've been like a roller coaster from start to finish, a bit like what Ronan Keating sang about. I certainly did ride this roller coaster, and yes to be fair there were times where I wanted to get off, but I didn't.

2014, you definitely brought me struggles from January to December but I will always remember 2014 for the GOOD things that happened not those STRUGGLES. You brought me new friendships and I have God to thank for that.

Yours Faithfully, Shannon.

Now, it's time to pick out the best bits, fasten your seat belt it's time for YOU to experience my roller coaster (mainly the high bits). BE PREPARED FOR LOADS OF PICTURES, I just can't help myself sometimes :)

To start the year off, I had exams.. Which I passed :)

After my exams I took a trip to Scotland to see friends who went to uni there. I started my trip by flying to Glasgow, then getting a train to Stirling (after food obviously) as my close friend JLT attends Stirling University.

Getting ready to travel! WOOO
I only spent a few days there but they were great :)
I got to see the outside of Sterling castle which was absolutely beautiful. The view from the castle was out of this world. I'm a bit gutted it was so dark as I couldn't get any good photo's.

We hung out and did silly things together like watching despicable me, but we also partied as well.

Although I had an amazing time staying with JLT, by the time I was leaving both of us couldn't wait to see the end of each other. We are as bad as each other when it comes to getting on each others nerves, but what close friends aren't eh?



JLT left me off to the bus, next stop... EDINBURGH! It was time to visit Abbie an Megan woo! I was staying with ABBIE 2 nights which meant I had a full day to explore. When I arrived in Edinburgh, Abbie picked me up and I couldn't wait to surprise Megan that I was there, she wasn't expecting anything (well, it was last minute after all).
I had an amazing time in Edinburgh and didn't want to leave, but I had to. I had to get the bus back to Glasgow for my flight :(
Overall, my Scotland trip was a success!!



Despise going through a bad breakup I definitely made the summer of 2014 one to remember. Although this is a blog reflecting 2014 as a whole, I will be focusing the majority of it on the summer as it is where most of my memories happen (not that the rest of 2014 didn't have its memories, it just doesn't have as many).



My summer started with HEAT and what a way to start a summer! The heat could only mean one thing beach banter and ice cream! Many adventures were made OUTSIDE, I knew summer was going to be great!



Blane helping me blow out the candles on all 3 cakes.


Having good weather for my birthday was also great as it meant I could have a BBQ and cake. Although my birthday didn't go too well, it was still good to have photos of me spending it with my family. Plus Blane really enjoyed helping me blow out the candles on my cake. Or should i say cakes, plural... I had 3, yes 3!!

It wasn't only during the day, when it was sunny, that I went for a dip...

Absolutely drenched 
Preparing ourselves for the cold
My friend JLT came home for a week over summer and we packed it out with so many fun things! one being jumping off port muck harbour at 11pm, call us crazy.
She asked "Siri" what the tide was like and when we realised the tide was in, there was only one thing to do... Safe to say the water as absolutely freezing. However, it was totally worth it... Especially considering I will never forget it!


I promise that doing crazy things such as jumping in the sea at 11pm, we did other fun exciting, non-crazy things as well.

One destination for an adventure was the Ulster Folk and Transport museum. It was such a good shout as we had a BALL. It was so much fun and LOADS, and I do mean loads, of photos were taken. Here's one of me being super mature...

C'mon, you have to laugh at this :)
In the Folk side to the museum we got to try home made soda bread, we even got the recipe for it. Jordan-Leigh spotted an old-fashioned type of bus (don't even know if it could be classified as a bus but sure) and we just HAD to get a ride on it.

Favourite photo of the day, by far!
It took us down to the farm where we seen so many animals, we even got to pet piglets. I would love a piglet as a pet... I'm just scared of what would happen when it grows up. Anyone fancy buying me a micro pig? :)

Safe to say I had an amazing time with JLT when she was home!!


Besides hanging out with friends and going on adventures I also spent quality time with my family. I took my two brothers out quite a lot over the summer! We went to Carnfunnock Country Park one day as it was lovely and sunny. I took my two brothers Blane and Rory and Aunt Susan. We had so much fun.


We had a picnic, played mini golf, went to the park, played with the outdoor games and had general family banter. It was so good seeing the enjoyment on my brother's face.

We even went on the mini train, I used to love it when I was younger and love taking Blane on it even more!

ALL ABOARD!!

In August I was involved in a Youth week through Elwood Presbyterian, Lisburn. Amazing is an understatement. I built so many relationships with the leaders but also the young people. I developed a very special relationship with an amazing, inspirational woman of God call Ashleigh. From the first moment of introduction, we clicked. She is so much fun, and such a good friend. God has blessed me with an amazing friend called Ashleigh. Even though she is currently in South Africa finishing her DTS I know I can count on her, she is always there for me!


Anywaaaaay, enough of the soppiness and back to the Youth Week known as THE SWITCH.

As I said, loads of friendships were built that still exist today. I love the guys from Lisburn, I feel as if they are my family, it's somewhere I belong. They are awesome. The young people have definitely been placed on my heart. God was at the centre of the switch 2014, there is no doubt about it.

So much happened at the switch that I can't even begin to explain in a blog. There were different games and sports played, prayer activities, worship, chats and not to forget the nail painting that Robert and Sloaner severely enjoyed, as you can tell from the photo #noshame



I would strongly recommend the switch to anyone, whether you are Christian or not. There are so many opportunities, just grab them! See ya in 2015 switch ;)

The Switch pretty much wrapped my summer up (although I did have all of September free before going back to uni in October). However, In September I still had fun and made many memories. For example, the youth centre I volunteer in took us Coasteering, and I have never experienced something that gets the adrenaline going more, I had a great time jumping off cliffs into the sea.



I dreaded going back to uni, but it hasn't been as bad as I expected. I've became pretty good friends with a lot of my classmates which is definitely a plus! Uni is hard and I'm nervous for my exams, struggling to find the motivation to revise, but I'm going to try my best and that's the best I can do :)

Throughout the year I've had many adventures with my best friend Chris, the main one was definitely the adventure to Blarney, Cork which you can read in my blog "Kiss the Blarney Stone - Check!".We also made banana bread which again there's a blog on called "Banana Bread Bananza". Check it out if you like ;)

Finally, I have ended the year with a perfect Christmas and knowing I have brilliant friends and family. I'm excited for what 2015 will bring. I can't wait to start next year by going to Liverpool to visit Jamie and Ben with my main girl Nicole, excited for what we are going to get up to :p

Yes, you're right, I haven't included EVERYTHING from 2014 in here, but I've included the "best bits". Here's a few more photos of stuff I got up to in 2014!

Visit to Belfast Zoo!

Ice Skating with the Genesis girls

How many people in one selfie?
Being cute (aww).

The Christmas Markets!!!!!

Quality time being spent with the kids :)

Cuckoo for a quiet drink

Later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment