Follow

Sunday 19 July 2015

Heroes Don't Get Any Bigger

Okay, so I haven't done a film review before but I went to see Ant-Man recently with a bunch of my friends and thought "why the flip not".

So yeah, I'm going to review Marvel's most recent film "Ant-Man".

We had planned to see it well in advance... And I had been very excited - and I was not disappointed.

Promotional photo taken from Rotten Tomatoes
In my opinion I would say this film has "two stories".. Scott's and Hank's.

I will start off with Scott Lang's. He's a guy with a "bad" past.. He was in jail for being a master thief, making it hard to get a job.. and he had a daughter, Cassie, who he wasn't able to see (until he got a job, an apartment, and kind of got his life together). And to top it all off, the mother of his child was now engaged to a cop, fantastic.

Then there is Hank Pym, an amazing researcher/scientist who was forced out of his own company by his mentee, Darren Cross. Him and his daughter have a difficult past and she has found it hard to forgive him. He lost his wife, which was a traumatic experience for him (we don't find out exactly how until later in the film). He discovered a new "technology" that cross wanted to replicate. But Pym knew if it ended up in the wrong hand, the world would become chaotic.

Basically, Cross is becoming closer and closer to mastering the replication of this technology that enables someone to wear a suit that can make them shrink - to the size of an ant. Monitored by Hope, Pym's daughter, Pym knows he needs to find someone to stop Cross from perfecting the technology and using it for evil but believes it is far too dangerous for Hope.

Anyway, long story short.. Pym hires Scott Lang. He is trained by Hank (and Hope when she finally comes round to the idea) to become Ant-Man. He is armed with a suit that enables him to shrink in size, possess superhuman strength and control an army of ants. Scott must use this to stop Cross from releasing "yellow jacket" into the world and enabling it to be used for evil.


Photo taken from Rotten Tomatoes
Okay so my thoughts? Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

So this film was nothing like what I was expecting. It has everything I enjoy in films, wrapped into one. There's some kind of romancebut not too obviousactionthat's not over poweringcomedythat genuinely made me laugh and familywhere there is family motivation.

Safe to say Marvel pulled through once again. It may have been a small (in size) hero, but it was a massive film. I loved the story line. And I think it was the perfect balance between action and comedy.

To top it all off Scott is played by Paul Rudd, who, lets just say, is very nice to look at. And for the guys, Hope isn't bad herself. She is played by Evangeline Lilly.

I would say that the actors/actresses played their role very well - making the film even more enjoyable.

I would give the film a rating of 8/10 - I mean, nothing's perfect but this was sure close.

Find the trailer here.

Have you seen the film? Let me know your thoughts!


Later! 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds brilliant ! I'm thinking about going to see this with my boyfriend before I go away on holiday :)

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne!

      You should definitely go see it! I went with my boyfriend and then a few of my, lets just say nerdy friends! I really enjoyed it.. was nothing like what I was expecting!

      Where are you going on holiday? Hope you enjoy yourself wherever it is - I'm going to Amsterdam at the end of August (eek!)

      Let me know if you do end up seeing Ant-Man and what you thought!

      Later! ♥

      Shannon x

      Delete